From my kitchen to yours~"It's not in the ingredients, it's in the execution."

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Pear and Potato Soup

3 Green Anjou pears, peeled, cored and diced
2 large yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
3 leeks, washed and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of extra old white cheddar (2yrs or older), crumbled
1/4 cup of butter
3-4 cups of chicken stock
1/8 tsp white pepper
few dashes of allspice


Melt the butter in a stock pot. Then add the garlic, pears and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes on medium heat. Add the leeks and seasonings and cook for another few minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer for 10 minutes. Puree in the pot with a hand mixer or in a blender. Taste and correct seasonings. Serve into bowls, garnishing each with a portion of the crumbled cheese. Serves about 6.

You're welcome ;o)

6 comments:

elizabeth said...

Grrrr. That was my tummy making that sound in case you were wondering.

Ookami Snow said...

Can you actually taste the pears? it seems like it would just make the soup gritty like a pear.

Kat said...

Actually cooked pear is much smoother than potato. So the soup is very silky. And yes, you can taste the pear ;o)

kate said...

This soup is perfect for today... the combination of potato and pear is an interesting one. I will try it since it doesn't seem too difficult.

I also want to try the porkchops (with the applesauce potatoes - I really like the sound of them!!)

And maybe you can grow some hot pepper plants in a sunny window ...

kate said...

I just stopped by to say hi and see what you were up to ... it was cold here until today. There were puddles in the street today. I was thrilled.

Anonymous said...

My mother used to make a Pear and Potato Soup which we called "Heaven and Earth". She did not puree the pears or the potatoes but cut them up in 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. I may have to try making some and see if it is similar in flavor to my memories.