From my kitchen to yours~"It's not in the ingredients, it's in the execution."

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Cool Cous Cous Salad

Summer salads: the perfect match for anything BBQ'd. Tonight I'm grilling up my Ribs and to go along side, I pulled together some fresh ingredients I had on hand. The result is a little something to cool the flames.

1 cup cous cous
1 cup water or stock
  • bring liquid to a boil, add cous cous, stir, remove from heat and cover. After 5 minutes, fluff with a fork and refrigerate till cooled.
1/4 cup celery, diced small
1/2 cup cucumber, diced small
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in quarters
1/4 cup red onion, diced fine
1 cup chick peas (if canned, drained and rinsed)
1 clove garlic, minced
hand-full fresh dill, chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp rice vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
  • Once cous cous has cooled add the above ingredients, toss and taste. Adjust seasonings if needed.
Serve on a leaf of lettuce. Try something long and leafy like Red Leaf lettuce or Romaine because it is also firm.
OR
Try stuffing it into half a fresh pepper, cut lengthwise.

~ you're welcome ;o)

5 comments:

Kat said...

There is a pic to come...as soon as I figure out how to get it off my new camera!

Verdant Earl said...

And you think my digs are fancy? Looky here at this cool joint? How the hell have ya been? So nice to hear from you earlier. I made sure to put you on my feed reader so I don't miss a thing! ;)

Kat said...

I've been busy...learning to cook better (as if that was possible) and all kinds of other motherly, wifely stuff. But good. And glad to see that a lot of my friends are still writing. Stay. Stay. I promise I'll be posting more regularly than never ;o)

Ookami Snow said...

What is the point of serving on lettuce, are you actually supposed to eat the lettuce?

Kat said...

Think presentation...don't you like your food to look nice? And of course you can eat it...it's lettuce ;o)