From my kitchen to yours~"It's not in the ingredients, it's in the execution."

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chilled Fig and Avocado Soup

Soup is one of my favourite things to create and eat. I first started making my own soups out of necessity because I hate to waste food. It's a great way to use up leftovers or odds and ends in the fridge that would otherwise be on their way out. While this will always be a part of my cooking regimen I prefer to forge a soup from selected ingredients. I pride myself on creating new and interesting soups and this recipe is lacking neither. A perfect prelude to a summer grill.

The Soup
16 small, fresh and ripe figs
1 large, ripe avocado
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 Spanish onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
dash each of lime and lemon juice
salt, white pepper and allspice to taste
water or vegetable stock, as needed
olive oil

  • to a heated pot add enough oil to coat the bottom. Caramelize* the onions.
  • add the garlic, figs and season** with salt, pepper and allspice (allspice and white pepper are strong flavours so make sure to start with only a dash or so. You can adjust to taste at the end.) then stir in the cilantro.
  • Add the avocado, lemon and lime juices, and enough water or stock to just cover the ingredients in the pot. Season, then pure. (I find that immersion blenders work best because you can mix right in the pot.) If needed add a little more liquid at a time until the soup has the consistency of a tomato sauce. Season.
  • transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Adjust the seasonings once the soup is chilled. Flavours change with temperature.
  • Serve into shallow, chilled bowls and top with a generous dollop of pistachio sour cream.
Pistachio Sour Cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup pistachios
1 tbsp honey
  • using a blender or mortar and pestle, grind the nuts.
  • stir in sour cream and honey.
  • chill.
*caramelize- the oxidization of sugars in foods during cooking, producing a caramel colour and flavour. To achieve this, cook slowly in a little oil at a medium to low heat stirring scantly and without the use of salt. Salt draws out moisture from foods and can inhibit the sugars from browning.
**season- this refers to the heightening or enhancing of the main ingredients in a dish. Seasonings include herbs and spices and most often salt. Seasoning should not be confused with flavouring which adds another dimension or profile to a dish. Seasoning takes practice and is best achieved if done as you go, building a little at a time. It's always easier to add just a little more then to make adjustments if you've added too much.

7 comments:

Slyde said...

i'm not really a big fig fan, but im salivating over the beer and bacon mussels....

Kat said...

I'm a big advocate of people being brave enough to try something they think they don't like if it's prepared differently than they're used to. A very good friend of mine insisted that she HATED squash, especially butternut. But I insisted,as well, that she try my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. She agreed to try it and the rest is history. She even self published a family recipe book in which she featured the soup. Be brave slyde, after all you did say you hated tequila...

Slyde said...

yuck.. dont remind me about tequilla...

Spinning Girl said...

ohhhh.... yummmmmm.....

Slyde said...

ya know, you get us all sexually excited that you are coming back, and then you go awol again.

you keep sending me mixed signals...

Kat said...

I know right! But I just landed a wicked job and have been working loads...I'll post about it soon k! Please forgive me???? I've been working 7 days a week for the last 2 months...yikes...

elizabeth said...

So... when ya gonna post beech??